I understand the need for health insurance.
I understand that kids come first.
I understand that I've been playing Russian Roulette with my childs health by not carrying health insurance on him. The cost to add him to my work ins (which is super cheap for me) would be upwards of $200 - $250 a month and my debt to income ratio doesn't allow for that so...I've allowed him to go without.
My child is now sick. I think it's strep with a side of sinus infection. I feel like a schmuck because I can't just call his PCP and say, "hey we need an appt". We are going to a walk in clinic today, $95 for the office visit, $40 for the strep test, who knows how much for the antibiotics that he'll likely need.
So I checked on BCBS online, the only health insurance in the entire state that will independently cover a minor child without having to have an adult on the policy. It's going to be $90 a month. $3500 ded, 50% OOP up to $3000 per year. Office visits will be $30, specialists visits will be $60, generic Rx will be $10 and name brands will be $45. So now, my child, who has been (knock on wood and thank the Good Lord above) sick less times than I can count on both hands in his entire life will have coverage. Now I'm going to pray that we never use it.
-